Rules & FAQS
This park was created for the enjoyment of the people of Acadiana and all its visitors and guests. To ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for all, please respect the rights of others and follow all park rules, signs, and instructions. In addition, all applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and ordinances also apply.
In case of emergency, call 9-1-1.
- Park hours are 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. All unimproved & unlit areas are open from sunrise to sunset. The Play Area is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Use the park at your own risk.
- Please keep Moncus Park clean! Dispose of your trash & recyclables in the appropriate receptacles around the park.
- Dogs are welcome in the park and must always remain on their leash, except in the dog park. Pet owners are required to pick up after their pets.
- Bikes, skates, scooters, and skateboards are allowed on concrete paths only.
- Motorized vehicles, except for wheelchairs, are prohibited.
- Informal sports are allowed (excluding the use of cleats and equipment). Golfing activities are prohibited. All other organized sports are not allowed without prior approval and permit – moncuspark.org/events.
- Smoking of any kind is prohibited (including all smoking tobacco, e-cigarettes, and vaporizers).
- Lawful consumption of alcohol is allowed only if purchased from an approved, licensed on-site vendor.
- Glass containers are prohibited.
- No open flames, including barbeque pits and gas grills/boilers, without prior approval and permit – moncuspark.org/events.
- The use of firearms and other noisemaking devices is prohibited.
- Flowers, trees, plants, and park furniture & fixtures shall not be removed, disturbed, or destroyed.
- Wildlife (including birds, reptiles, and amphibians) shall not be hunted, trapped, molested, destroyed or fed.
- Be respectful of other park guests and neighbors; control your noise level. Amplified sound requires a permit – moncuspark.org/events.
- Park areas may require closures from time to time. Use of closed areas of the park may be considered trespassing or potential destruction of park property.
- Vending and commercial activities, including photography, require a permit – moncuspark.org/events. Certain areas of the park are available for private rental or unique events. Please visit moncuspark.org/events for a permit.
- Park only in designated areas.
Is the Park free?
When is the Park open?
The Park is open from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. All unimproved & unlit areas are open from sunrise to sunset. The Play Area is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Moncus Park is open seven days a week.
Is there security?
The Park is well-lit with set hours from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. Moncus Park has evening and overnight security on park property. Private security has been hired to monitor both the lit and unlit areas of the park from 6:00 pm to 6:00 am. The Park also works with local law enforcement to ensure proper security for large-scale events.
Are there restrooms?
A permanent restroom facility is located closer to our parking and play area for convenient access for our guests. Temporary restrooms will be made available during events, and additional restrooms will be built in future phases.
What amenities are available at Moncus Park?
Currently, the amenities and features below are available for the public to use at no cost:
DOG PARK (permitted, learn more)
OUR LADY OF LOURDES INTERACTIVE WATER ADVENTURE
VETERANS MEMORIAL, TREEHOUSE, FARMERS MARKET PAVILION
What is the membership program? Is it required?
Annual gifts like memberships help sustain the long-term initiatives to maintain Moncus Park such as planting trees, trash cleanup, managing volunteers and more!
Memberships at Moncus Park are not required to enjoy the many amenities of Moncus Park, but all membership levels enjoy a variety of fun and rewarding benefits including invitations to exciting member-exclusive events! To learn more visit the link below.
Who owns Moncus Park?
While Lafayette Consolidated Government owns the land, a nonprofit entity, Moncus Park, signed a 99-year lease to develop and maintain the 100-acre property. Moncus Park is solely responsible for the funding, operations, and upkeep of the Park.
How can I support the park’s continued development, financially or otherwise?
There are many ways to support Moncus Park! Annual gifts like our membership program help sustain long-term initiatives to maintain Moncus Park, such as planting trees, cleanup, managing volunteers, and more. Additionally, there are many ways to leave your mark in the Park, such as purchasing personalized brick pavers or by supporting ongoing campaigns and programs. To learn more about these options visit www.moncuspark.org/donate.
Additionally, if you are passionate about Moncus Park, join us and be a part of something historic by volunteering to support Acadiana’s world-class park. Volunteers are an important part of the Moncus Park community and make a dramatic difference by helping with both park preservation and supporting the park’s programs and events. To get involved visit www.moncuspark.org/volunteer.
PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES & ITEMS
Smoking, vaping, drugs
Amplified sound without a permit
Organized sports without prior approval
The use of firearms and other noisemaking devices